Wednesday, September 15, 2010

What I learned at school today...

I graduated from high school at the end of last year. I walked with my class, wore the stupid white cap and gown all the girls had to wear even though it made us all look like the Michelin Man, got my diploma, was given a rose by the teachers, took photos with my family while still wearing that stupid cap and gown, and it was done. I was free of high school. There would be no more soggy fries for lunch, no more bitchy girls (and a few boys) making life a living hell, and there would be absolutely no need for me to step back on campus. 


Well, today I went back. 


I went back on an errand for my place of work, and for my mother, and I gave up my work lunch hour to do this. I was dropped off at the school, went in, got a visitors pass, talked to people while I waited for lunch to start, then talked to the two teachers I was there for. 


First was my former English teacher and by far one of the most influential people in my life. Because of her I realized that I wanted to tutor kids, and with her help I got a handful of terror stricken students through their senior projects. She told me today that there "wasn't a single kid [I] couldn't connect with" and it made me smile when she put down my email address and cellphone number as emergency contacts not only for her and her students but also for any substitutes that might be called in. I'll be able to tutor any of the panicked seniors through any of their English or Civics related woes and that makes me happy. 


After that, I went to see my former Dance/Drama teacher, who is also by far one of the most influential people in my life. Because of him, my fear of public speaking is an after thought and I've learned to revel in the spotlight. He's even helped combat my clumsiness. I picked up something from him, we talked, I gave him a cold remedy that has worked for me in the past (mango mint tea, lots of sleep and a TON of old movies) and we talked about Roller Derby and the fact that we both will likely go to the Derby match this weekend. Then we talked about Kurt Cobain, dressing in drag, and the fact that breakfast for lunch at 1pm on a Saturday is far better than brunch any day of the week. 


Then I ran into two of my favorite people on the planet, my Kitten and the fabulous miss Lettie, and we talked for a bit and made plans to hang out, party, and eventually go up to Washington for the Kurt Cobain memorial thing I mentioned on my bucket list, as well as planning to move to England because that's what we've always wanted to do. 


Finally, I turned in my visitors pass and left. 


Walking back to work from the high school, I ran into a jumbled group of snot nosed kids who thought they were the high court of the universe and one of them, a boy with a face and attitude that only a mother (at her most desperate) could love, decided to spout the statement "I hate pregnant teenagers that walk around like they're just all that" and then flip me off.


1) I am not pregnant. The simple fact is that unlike your friends, mister dickwad, my boobs are proportional to the rest of my squishiness. 


2) I hardly walk around like I'm "just all that", especially today since I was limping due to a messed up ankle and on the phone negotiating a doctors appointment. Yeah, I'm SOOOO "all that". 


3) Finally, you are an asshole, go die.


So beyond the fact that when you walk on tho the campus the first thing you inevitably notice is the smell of weed, and regardless of the fact that while I was there a kid who has a restraining order against him and as such isn't allowed on campus happened to wander through, and ignoring the fact that I walked past Lindsay, who I adore to death, and she didn't notice me...


Disregard the fact that the school is now on a 7 periods every day schedule and it's fucked up the only class that made me feel 100% safe and at home (Modern Movement)...


Forget about the simple reality that the student advisor is still a bitch and still hates me and tried to get me to leave campus...


Just... Ignore all of that. Ignore the good things and the bad things that happened ON campus.


It wasn't until I was in the process of walking to work afterwards that I realized why I have this inherent idea that all teenage boys are complete douchebags until proven innocent. 


Don't you just have to LOVE high school?


Ugh. 


I'm going to go back to adding things to my bucket list. I'll post 101 through 200 as soon as I get them sorted out. 


XO


FREAK

No comments:

Post a Comment