Thursday, September 16, 2010

College Survival is really a class?

I was not particularly thrilled when I walked into the community college for the basic orientation and was handed my potential course list. 


Art131 Intro to Drawing?


HD50 New Student Orientation?


Mth60 Fundamentals of Algebra?


RD115 Speedreading for College?


WR30 FUNDAMENTALS OF COMPOSITION?!


Come on!


I'm tutoring in a senior English class! I scored a 600 and 665 on my SATs in Writing and Reading! COME ON! I'm getting a transfer degree and three of those don't even TRANSFER! I'm going to be a creative writing major and you want me to take an Art class? 


UGH.


I was not a happy camper. 


Mainly about the WR30. 


Okay, more than mainly. Being put in WR30 had me reconsidering my choice to go to community college.


Just...


No.


So I went and sat through orientation, then went and sat and waited to talk to an adviser, and when I sat down across from the man who was to help me, I set my SAT scores on the desk and said "can we talk about putting me in classes that won't bore me to death?"


Darren, the young adviser/my personal hero, more than complied. 


He asked what I was studying, and I said that I was going to go for a creative writing degree and he tossed out the following classes:


Mth60 (didn't go away, even my SAT scores kind of sucked at Math)


WR241 Imaginative Writing (HELL YES I got into a 200 level class on just my SAT scores!)


WR121 English Composition 1 (which I have to take because of the Wr241 class)


HD100 College Survival (oh yes, I'm in a free one credit transferable class about how to survive College.)


AND THEN...


AND THEN!


I got an email from the college that I'd been bumped up to Mth95 Intermediate Algebra because of my SAT scores!


AND THEN!


And then I got an email from Darren telling me which Mth95 has the shortest wait list (since I'm wait listed everywhere else, as are all of the brand new students).


I got badass classes and a badass advisor and am now a college student.


Hell. Yes.


Anyways, that's that. I'm going to watch Rachel Maddow and have dinner and go to bed early because I haven't been sleeping and am feeling kind of sick. 


XO


FREAK

No comments:

Post a Comment