Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Dear Community College,

I'm not sure what I think of you yet. In two days, I've seen a lot of very, very strange things. 


One of the first things I encountered on my first day of classes, while sitting at a group of tables near the cafe in the HEC building, was an older man with a kind of creepy vibe about him who talked to me for a good half an hour - without my knowledge - because he didn't notice that I had my headphones in. One of the other girls there told me this after he left. After that, a group of teenage boys told me I looked like "Kurt Cobain reincarnated as a chick but with better hair" and then we spent twenty mintues talking about RuneScape. They made my day. 


Other than that, my math teacher is obsessed with parenthesis, and in my 50 minute long class period on my first day, 15 minutes went to the syllabus, 20 went to parenthesis and the remainder resulted in nearly four pages of notes. 


Day two started with 20 minutes on parenthesis and the rest resulting in even more notes. Unfortunately, once I left math, I still had an hour between that and my first writing class. 


An hour in which...


Another older dude didn't notice my headphones, a girl told me I was pretentious because I want to study french and not Spanish (though she double checked what "pretentious" meant before using, just to be sure) and then I realized that I recognized a LOT of people but couldn't quite figure out where from.


And that was before writing, during which the girl who sat next to me and was meant to be my partner for a project was so quiet we didn't get the project done, the guy behind me was very nice and is a Criminology major, and then I actually got IN to the class. 


After writing, it continued. As I waited outside, a guy and his friend (both in their forties) walked up to the building, and as they did, one questioned the other...


"Do you think the teacher would be mad if I ditched class to go to get a burger?"


Yeah.


I feel like I'm back in high school. 


So as I said, I'm not quite sure what I think of you yet, Community College. I have one more class today, then we try this whole circus again come morning. 


XO
FREAK

No comments:

Post a Comment