Saturday, July 31, 2010

I want to be in a band...

I've always wanted to be in a band for as long as I can remember. In the summer of 2007, I went to an all girls summer camp, dubbed "rock'n'roll girls camp", and formed a band with a handful of girls who were younger than me (as all of the girls my age were already friends with each other), wrote a song, and got up on stage to sing it. 



This is the theater where they let me loose on the world with a song called Carbon Copies.
Please note, I was 15 so it wasn't going to be the best written song on the planet.
Aaaaand the camp director made me re-write it with the help of my band mates.
So it turned out sort of shit.
One of the girls named us The Stereotypes...
Not my first choice. 
Or second.
Or third.
I'm going to shut up now. 
I haven't heard from anyone from there in years and now I want a real band.

A real band where we can play the songs I want.
Covers of such brilliant works as...

*Hold Me Tight by The Beatles
*Goin' Down by The Pretty Reckless
*Blood-Spattered Sundress by Schoolyard Heroes
*What New York Used to Be by The Kills
*Cherry Bomb by The Runaways
*Howl by Florence And the Machine
And many many more.

And on top of that, there's the songs I write.

My most recent song is titled Dear Effy Stonem. It's my ode to the tortured, hedonistic soul of the Skins character who I've been intrigued with since the first series came out and she snuck into the house after nights of raves and didn't speak to anybody, and her decent into who she was at the end of series four, when she'd attempted to kill herself, lost so many people who meant the most to her and suffered a complete breakdown.
If it seems like an odd topic, then you haven't gotten inside my head recently.

Effy Stonem


Queen Bee, lost soul... drug addict... mental patient...
Effy Stonem is a lot of things.
In the universe of the E4 drama Skins, she's the younger sister of Tony Stonem.
She's quiet even at her loudest.
At 14 she was sneaking into her house after raves.
She was 'kidnapped' and injected with an overdose of medical grade drugs by a psychotic ex boyfriend of her brothers girlfriend.
She never spoke.
Ever.
She watched her brother get hit by a bus and nearly die.
She helped him afterwards.
At 15, she was fixing everyone 
She was still helping Tony.
Started helping Sid, his best friend.
Helping Cassie.
She befriended Pandora and helped her pass her art course.
She did a lot of watching, noticing and fixing.
She held the house together - kind of - while her mother took her brothers sleep aids and didn't leave bed and her father was gone because he didn't know how to deal with a son who'd been hit by a bus.
At 16 her father left because her mother was sleeping with his friend Steve. 
She met two boys - Cook and Freddie - who she fell in love with.
More so Freddie.
She watched Freddie date Katie.
She bashed Katie over the head with a rock while on a really bad trip the same night she found out they were dating, all while on a camping trip.
She lost all of her friends.
Ran away with her mother to Italy over the summer.
At 17, she was broken.
She finally started dating Freddie.
But fell into hedonistic... something. 
She became suicidal. 
Freddie tried to save her.
He couldn't
She was institutionalized.
Her therapist killed Freddie.


Effy Stonem...
She was by far the most complicated character on the show and I'm sad that her four years (though it would normally only be two) ended.

Anyways.
I lost my train of thought. 

Right.
Band.
I want.
Ehem. 

So I'm going to abandon my blog and get back to my song-writing, Haven watching, Skins obsessing self.

I do have work in the morning anyways.

XO
FREAK

No comments:

Post a Comment